By Claudia Wegener
This is the 1st complete description of Savosavo, a non-Austronesian (Papuan) language spoken by way of nearly 2,500 audio system on Savo Island, Solomon Islands. in response to fundamental box info recorded by means of the writer, it offers an summary of all degrees of grammar. additionally, an entire bankruptcy is devoted to nominalization of verbs via one specific suffix, which take place in a couple of buildings starting from lexical to syntactic nominalization. The appendix presents glossed instance texts and a listing of lexemes.
Read Online or Download A Grammar of Savosavo PDF
Best communication books
The amount is devoted to the German linguist Wolfgang Ullrich ""Gustav"" Wurzel (1940-2001), who has inspired linguistic notion in his paintings on paradigm-based morphology. All participants to the quantity care for Wurzel's paintings and considering, who in his theoretical writings excited by the innovations of naturalness, markedness and complexity in human language.
Those lectures tackle many of the elements and implications of "conversational type. " they appear on the dynamics of particular occasions, similar to the place of work and the school room, the place the function of conversational sort is of specific value. --From the publisher's path description
This e-book constitutes the refereed complaints of the 1st overseas convention on details and conversation expertise for the struggle opposed to international Warming, ICT-Glow 2011, held in Toulouse, France in August 2011. The sixteen revised papers provided have been conscientiously reviewed and chosen from 24 submissions.
During this ground-breaking paintings, the celebrated anthropological theorist, Michael Brian Schiffer, offers a profound problem to the social sciences. via a huge diversity of examples, he demonstrates how theories of behaviour and verbal exchange have too usually missed the elemental significance of gadgets in human existence.
- The Spam Book: On Viruses, Porn, and Other Anomalies from the Dark Side of Digital Culture
- Signs, Dialogue and Ideology (Critical Theory)
- Multimodal Communication in Political Speech. Shaping Minds and Social Action: International Workshop, Political Speech 2010, Rome, Italy, November 10-12, 2010, Revised Selected Papers
- Predictions of Public Opinion from the Mass Media: Computer Content Analysis and Mathematical Modeling (Contributions to the Study of Aging,)
- Politics, Media, and Modern Democracy: An International Study of Innovations in Electoral Campaigning and Their Consequences (Praeger Series in Political Communication (Hardcover))
- Die Stellung Der Deutschen Sprache in Europa Und Der Welt (German Edition)
Additional info for A Grammar of Savosavo
However, further studies are required for a better understanding of the interaction between word stress, sentence accent, intonation contour and clause type. Figures 5 and 6 show that non-verbal clauses such as examples (7) to (9) exhibit a similar pitch contour to the verbal clauses given above. (7) (8) (9) Pa jai=na ota. ’ (bi cs kakula 128) Muzikavili sue lo pipisa. ’ (ej cs botoli 126) Gn-omata te=lo. 939 Time (s) Figure 5. 7207 Time (s) Figure 6. Pitch contours of another nominal clause, example (9) The intonation of content questions and polar questions is not uniform, as could be observed both in natural and elicited data.
Phoneme inventory 21 Table 6. Vowel combinations a e ae ‘to be married’ a * e onea ‘to listen’ * i liaza ‘to return’ mi=e ‘fish=EMPH’ moaba ‘day bef. yesterday’ buara ‘root’ dodoe ‘± 4 gen. )’ ghoi ‘also’ * siu ‘to be edible’ bou ‘heel’ kui ‘eight’ ovuovu ‘steam, gas * All four-syllable roots in Savosavo show the same stress pattern, with primary stress on the penultimate syllable, which is inconsistent with the stress pattern observed with vaitula ‘servant’. e. the first, syllable, and so the stress pattern observed with vaitula ‘servant’ identifies the root as trisyllabic.
2. Intonation associated with some discourse particles There are a few discourse particles that always occur with very specific intonation contours. One is ni ‘AFF’, a question tag following a statement, requesting affirmation, comparable to English tag questions or a right? or ok? following a statement. The preceding clause has a normal intonation contour, including the clause final fall, and is then followed by a steep rise on ni (17). When the speaker is reasonably sure that the statement is correct and uses this tag more for emphasis than as a request for affirmation, this rise may be followed by a fall (18).